Saturday, June 13, 2009

Waving Lace Socks

Pattern: Waving Lace Socks by Evelyn A. Clark
Book: Interweave Favorite Socks
Yarn: Angora Wool Blend-Dyed by Maine Yarn Shop
Needles: Size 2 4" dp needles

This yarn is a dream to knit with. It glides through your fingers like being on a slippery slope. It is an angora blend. I purchased the one skein, enough for a pair of socks, while I was in Maine a couple of months ago. It was a little pricey, but hey...besides my being worth it, I was on a mini-vacation.
I was disappointed when I unskeined it to put it on my yarn swift. The yarn was faded in the areas exposed to the store's floodlights. It was a bear to wind as all the little angora hairs wanted to hug each other like a velcro strip.

The yarn also has a scent from candles burning in the store which allows me to knit for only short periods of time as the odor becomes overpowering. Be assured that I will wash these socks before gifting.
A closeup ....I really enjoy my "Shirley Temple" cup. I purchased this item back in the late '80's at an antique shop in Maine. It had a minor chip in it (sigh).
When life is difficult, as it was this past week, I usually return to my gratitude journal. Usually, the things I enter are usually things like a baby smiling at me at the supermarket, a cardinal chirping "good morning" to me as I leave for work, contact from my loved ones, etc.

This morning I was awakened by a well-known "swish" sound outside my open window. (It's safe to have it open....high off the ground.) I grabbed my bathrobe and my camera and ran out on the front lawn in my bare feet. I must have been a pretty site to passer-bys!!! Hopefully, they didn't have a camera. You never know when you might end up on Youtube.
This is what I saw......
Are we crashing? Are we taking off? A little scary as there is no open space in that immediate area to land safely.

Alison, this is for you........the name on the balloon is "The Inn at Essex", which has been mentioned in a previous post.

Up, up, up!!!!............
......and away!!!!

Happy Knitting!

6 comments:

  1. The whole picture of the yarn,sock,candle and glass it charming! Love the battenburg lace also!! We had a balloon hit the top of our roof and land in the field across the road, several years ago. There's a house there now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots of blue in your post today! The socks are very pretty. Try spraying white vinegar on the sock and yarn and letting dry. Should help get rid of the unwanted odor.

    Gratitude journals are great tools. I did a "Five things I'm grateful for" every morning for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the welcome home on my Blog. I am glad to be back even though I had a really good time.
    I love the way you displayed the sock for your picture. I love blue these years it seems . Will that pattern stay up on your leg ? I have found some of the prettier lacy patterns for socks does not stay up well so I am slow to do them on socks.I am having a problem with my INTERNET server at the moment, due to storms ,so the other pictures did not load for me. Will catch them later.
    Elsie <><

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely blue blog. That Shirley Temple glass is charming. Socks look great! Try wrapping the sock/yarn in newspaper to asorb the smell. Might work.

    I love the comment about You Tube, so true, but I never thought of it. Camera phones, too. Nevr know when your picture being snapped. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The socks are very nice!! I know they will feel soft and toasty warm to your recipient :). I love the beginning of October in Albuquerque when they have the Albuquerque Ballon Fiesta. Hundreds of ballons, so many that the mass assension is really several instead of just one. Quite a site!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, WOW!!!

    And--Best.Restaurant.EVER. Now I want to go back!

    ReplyDelete