Sunday, September 12, 2010

Vermont Hat - A Fair Isle Adventure


Pattern: Vermont Hat In Fair Isle (free pattern on Ravelry)
Yarn: Cascade 220 (lavender and white)
Needles: Size 7 & 9 circular  size 9 dp's for crown

This pattern is as easy as easy can get when it comes to Fair Isle knitting.  See my previous post for links to videos on YouTube regarding the knitting method I used.

I was able to quickly knit these hats for several reasons.  I used "Knit Picks Harmony Interchangeable Needles"  which I love because it allows me to have the correct size needle on the right and a smaller needle on the left which makes for the stitches to glide along more quickly.  Of course, it's the right needle (in the pic it is the top one) that determines the gauge.  Obviously, this only works when knitting in the round.


The designer states that you are able to knit two hats from the two skeins if you reverse the main color.  I think it may be possible to even get three when using Cascade 220 but don't hold me to that one.  I don't want you to come looking for me unless you are bringing food.
 
I modified this pattern including an additional two rows to the ribbing and one more row to one of the stripes so that they would each be two rows.  I found the hat to be a little tight for my fat head (not to be confused with egotistical...thank you very much!) so I knitted this next one using 10 1/2 needles. 
Several people asked me about the red scarf that was featured in this post.  The pattern name is "Flared Ribbed Scarf".

My good friend, Deb, also knitted this hat.  Check out her hat and blog.

I will be teaching a class on this hat starting the end of the month.  The next class will be this one which I darn well better be prepared.  It will be a test of my knitting skills and I suspect this class will be filled quickly.

Friday was a pretty stressful day.  The fire alarm was activated and a message stated we were to evacuate the building.  There was an emergency and I was prepared....

I grabbed my handbag and car keys and what else!!!!...................
 
and left the rest behind.  
 
Evacuating for me means 4 flights of stairs with my bad leg.  Because we are in a medical research building, it is not unusual for something to happen in one of the labs that sets off the alarm and is quickly resolved. 

Yesterday was a different story.  We were suddenly told to walk across campus as a suspicious package had been found in the basement and the bomb squad was on its way. 
 
I was able to get to my car and drive home and watch the development in the news.  There was talk of possibly evacuating the adjoining hospital.  In all, over 1,000 employees were evacuated. 

The packaged was removed which means I am thankful I have a job on Monday.

Happy Knitting!

12 comments:

  1. Wow--that's scary. Glad everything turned out OK.

    Another gorgeous hat! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the hats! It looks like the class will be VERY satisfying for the participants - new skills and a great hat. Who could ask for anything more?
    Good thing you had your emergency bag all packed and ready, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The hats are stunning! Glad you got some time off even if the circumstances weren't very favorable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy things worked out for you ! The hats are gorgeous and the photos are striking !!! Cute, cute bag !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the hats, I'm not really into color work, but that one looks farily easy and interesting :). I might just have to try it. Like Lizzie said, at least it gave you time off of work. Hope it was paid :). I love your emergency knitting bag, so cute!! I hope your leg gets better, or is it a knee problem?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your hats look so pretty. I didn't even think about adding pom-poms, so cute. These hats are so much fun, I'm sure that the class you're teaching about them will be a lot of fun. I love the scarf, too. Is it reversible?

    Your other knitting workshop is going to fun & interesting. That's what's so neat about knitting...there always seems to be something new to learn.

    I'm glad that things worked out OK on Fri. How scary. At least, you had your emergency knitting bag.

    ReplyDelete
  7. P.S. I really like the tip about using a smaller size needle on the left when knitting in the round. I'll have to give that a try. See? Always a new technique to try & learn.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Scary. What is up with all these mysterious packages. They had one in Raliegh last week I believe. Glad you are ok and have a job to go back too. Love the hats. By far the red and white one is my favorite. :) I love reds. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yikes! Glad you are safe - have to laugh that you grabbed your knitting! I love the red hat and scarf.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your hats are so great. The colors seem so Scandinavian, which I, of course, love. Glad you had your "emergency knitting" kit along.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The hats are great fun, and with two strands, surely warm, as you well need there.

    I'm sorry about that evacuation. I hope whoever responsible, if it was a deliberate act, gets caught quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Stunning Stranded pieces, really wish I could get it done efficiently.

    Glad your evacutation was nothing too serious.

    ReplyDelete