Sunday, September 5, 2010

Water Bottle Jacket Carrier

While my daughter and her family were visiting last July, I noticed they all had the following water bottle in various colors.  I was impressed that there were still ice cubes in the water 8+ hrs. later on what was a very, very hot day.

Needless to say, I wanted one in the hopes that it might help in my battle with kicking the "Diet Pepsi" addiction that I have.  To my credit, I drink much less of it than I did several years ago.

I was not able to find a Thermos water bottle in Vermont but they are available at Target.  They are more expensive but oh.........so well worth it!!!

Yea, yea, I know, we don't have a Target.  Can you believe that?  We were the last state to get a WalMart.  Shopping is very subdued in this state.


This Thermos water bottle is unbreakable and because it is double insulated, it does not sweat.  It goes everywhere with me.  I even keep it by my bedside at night should I wake up feeling thirsty.

So, yesterday, while I was at the Vermont Agricultural Fair and others were buying lukewarm water bottles for $3, I had my icy cold water with me.  I didn't feel so bad when I had to pay $6 for a sausage sandwich and $3 for a real maple ice cream dish.


It is leak-proof while the lid is closed and the silver clip in the upright position assures that it will not accidentally open.

I'm intrigued by the fact that the lid stays in the open position while drinking and there is no chance that it will "boink" you in the nose and you will suddenly look like Jimmy Durante. 


I knitted the jacket "blindly" with only a few dimensions as I had not yet received my own bottle.  Though it was a quick knit, I'm sure a crocheted version would be even faster.  I attached a canvas strap as I wanted the sturdiness it would provide and the strap would not cut into my daughter's shoulder.  I secured it on the bottom as well as the top sides. 

The buckle is not shown but I am a little concerned about the quality.  The next one (my own) will have "D" rings (purchased at JoAnn's) instead.

Happy Knitting!

9 comments:

  1. You are so creative! I really like that pattern stitch. Neat thermos...I want one. I love to drink water, but it has to be icy cold or I don't want it.

    Thanks to the reference to the "The Schnoz", that brought back a lot of memories. I love your sense of humor.

    I like the new Autumn look of your blog. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to look into that thermos cup :). I love the knitted holder, so cool, Deb is right you are so creative!! Share the pattern? Or even offer it for sale on your site. :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. My that's a nice thermos ! Clearly it's well constructed. Your bottle holder is very nice and I too am hoping you will do a pattern for all of us !!! No pressure there...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that water bottle. I have been looking for the 'perfect' water bottle for a long time. I wonder if target ships to Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sitting here going, how did you know... Medically, I have to drink 8 oz every two hours without fail, and carry a water bottle around with me. My daughter has been letting me use hers, which I like a lot more than mine, but she just took hers off to grad school; sorry, Mom. So I've been looking for what to replace it with. Thank you for the heads-up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So pretty and fall like here on your blog. Everyone is wishing away summer, I feel soooooooo lonely. lol I am still trying to hold on, to no avail I fear. It's slipping away. No more pretty flowers, brown ugly grass, cool to cold nights; and football. Dang!

    LOVE the cozy you made for the water bottle. I've been thinking about making one because I always have it in my knit/crochet bag and it does sweat and I put it in a plastic bag to protect my yarn so thought a cozy would help.

    Perhaps I'll go look for a new bottle while I'm at it. We do have Target which I like; though I hate hate hate Walmarts and wish we didn't have them here. I applaud your state for keeping them out as long as they did.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do love that water bottle and, though I'm within walking distance of a Target, I've never seen one like it there. :-( Love the cozy, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You did a great job on that jacket!

    I simply must get me one of those thermos. I have a glass of ice-water at hand year 'round. I use one of those insulated mugs that they give patients in hospitals to take ice-water to bed with me at night. By morning, the water is only slightly cool. I'd love to be able to sip icy cold water everytime I wake up thirsty!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Popping in from the Bridge today, still haven't made it shopping to see about the new bottle, but maybe I'll make it yet. lol

    Sandy
    TGIF

    ReplyDelete