Thursday, July 2, 2009

Hunter's New Baby Sweater

Pattern: My own
Needles: Size 7
Yarn: Red Heart So Soft

In progress......baby due July 21st. I started this little sweater for Hunter. My former boss, Felicia, is expecting her first child. I've always thougth the world of Felicia and missed her terribly when she returned to Maryland.

It's always so much fun experiencing the pregnancy and birth of someone's first child.



(Sorry, the picture is a little blurry.)

I have the back, one front and one sleeve done. The sleeve also has a cable down the center. It’s a size 1 so there’s plenty of time to get this to Hunter. The buttons are not yet sewn on but just placed for you to see. Now, “Backwards Joan” should have purchased the buttons first and figured out how wide the button band needed to be.

The sweater will also have a hood. I’ve been hesitating knitting the buttonhole front because I’m undecided on the approach. I used to do finishing knitting work years ago when my daughters were babies. I sewed grosgrain ribbon on the inside of the bands and then made machine buttonholes. I guess you could say I was in the steeking family before I knew what it was called.

I have three other sweaters almost completed along with a neckwarmer. It’s just a question of getting to them before I cast on something else which will be Saturday for the Ravelry Baby Surprise KAL (knit-a-long).

Does anyone have a solution for the above problem? My buttonbands always seem to "shrink vertically". I suppose, in the future, I could just pick up the stitches and then knit the band but I'm not especially found of picking up stitches.


Happy Knitting!

8 comments:

  1. I have abosolutely no idea on button holes. Frequently I cat off two stitches and cast on on the next row. What does EX do? I can't remember right now. The buttons are darling. Renate

    ReplyDelete
  2. The sweater looks fabulous! Maybe, you could find some smaller dog buttons. That might help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How adorable! I love the cables & the buttons. I really like the Red Heart So Soft yarn, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I sometimes toss in a shortrow here and there just to keep the buttonbands from pulling up. It's invisible magic! For small things, usually just a shortrow near the top and bottom works, for longer bands I sneak a couple more in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice...button band, use moss st instead of garter st. Garter sts are square, st st is rectangular being taller than wider. Moss st is a combo of both so it's the "right" size.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMGosh! That little sweater looks like it is so sweet from the little peeks you are showing! Those buttons are adorable!
    Hope you have a fabulous 4th of July today! Thanks for visiting my blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sweater is adorable! What a wonderful first baby gift! I have an aunt who taught me how to knit, but the only thing I have been able to figure out how to make is scarves. . . in fact that is what my husband and son got for Christmas last year.

    Thanks so much for visiting my blog and for your sweet comment.

    ReplyDelete