Sunday, January 11, 2009

Garter Stitch Matinee Jacket

Pattern: Garter Stitch Matinee Jacket By Debbie Bliss
Shown: Size 3 mos.
Yarn: Bernat Satin Sport
Needles: Size 4

The pattern in the book shows this cute little baby wearing this sweater. Most of us usually like a garter knit project as it usually is mindless knitting. Trust me when I say this was the project from hell. Had I not told the recipient I was going to knit this sweater, I would have abandoned it. Perhaps if the baby were here already to try on the sweater, I might warm up this little sweater. After all, who doesn't like to nuzzle up to a newborn baby who still has the scent from heaven.

It was difficult to find the correct weight yarn in the color that I wanted in washable yarn. Originally, I wanted it to be a cream color as we don't know the sex of the baby that my co-worker is expecting in late March/early April.

The Bernat Satin Sport looked lovely as a skein. However, it snagged and split very easily, pilled, etc. The join on the cables of my knitting needles compounded the problem. I ended up purchasing more needles but the store did not have the correct length and the cable coil kept getting in the way (sigh).

I was going to knit a matching hat and booties, but gave up that idea. I'm not into torturing myself.

I'm almost embarrassed to give this sweater as a gift. It definitely is not my best work. There are different methods I would use for joining in the future were I to knit this again.

I knitted an I-cord instead of thread a ribbon as a tie because I felt it would look more unisex.

It's an absolutely gorgeous day in Vermont with a fresh snowfall of about six inches with the sun glistening on the accumulation. I plan on going out later to take pictures.

Happy Knitting!

10 comments:

  1. It may have been the project from hell, but it looks heavenly to me! Personally, I decided I hate Debbie Bliss after making two bears from her teddy bear book, but it sounds like your issues were with the yarn and needles, not the pattern. In any case, it looks adorable and I am sure will be very much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is nothing worse than a simple knit turning into a source of stress! I am glad it's over anyway. Amy is right, it looks lovely.

    Enjoy the snow. I should be shoveling right now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It may have been the project from hell, but the finished project looks fantastic. Nice to know about the qualities of Bernat Satin, I was wondering. love the i-cord too, better than ribbon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Garter Stitch Jacket? Hmmm.....reminds me that there's a garter stitch baby blanket that needs finishing.

    Just for the record....I bought some Bernat Satin Sport....it's still sitting in a project bag. I've tried making a cowl with it, that didn't work, so I tried knitting a scarf w/it. It had all the personality of a limp noodle! The yarn seemed TOO SOFT. Not enough body or something. I'm so glad that I only purchased 1 skein to try.

    Your baby sweater is lovely & a great color!

    ReplyDelete
  5. For the life of me I can see no reason why you would say "it definately is not my best work". Not only do I see nothing wrong with it, I think it looks lovely!!! Your work always looks fresh with clean lines and wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. looks great to me. :)
    We only got about 4" but it was very pretty this morning. Now a grey ugly mess on the roads.
    I love the quiet fresh snow brings....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Despite all your trouble, I think it came out beautifully! I really like that pattern, it's different.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is very pretty. I was going to ask for more info on the pattern... but.... was it the pattern or the yarn that gave you the most problem?

    I'm looking for 3-6 month old sizes. Friends are having babies in mid summer and was thinking of sweaters for autumn and winter.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think you did a real nice job on this jacket. It's always the simplist designs that turn out to be the most difficult. I think your co-worker will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete