Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Maine Blueberry Socks - Finished


"A Day Late and a Dollar Short"........let me tell you why!

It's going to be in the 70's in Vermont tomorrow. It will probably be even warmer south of here. Not exactly wool-wearing weather. However, I've completed Kim's Maine blueberries socks made of wool and bamboo. She lives about 6 hrs. south of here and will be even warmer there. The colorway for the socks is a bluish/greyish and much nicer than in the picture. It was my first project using bamboo and I really, really like the yarn. My co-workers, after viewing the socks, were amazed at how soft they feel.

I also completed one "Pay It Forward" gift to Briley and sent that package last week. The package contained a wool scarf and other goodies. For those of you who have not seen Briley's blog, I'll post pictures later this week. Of course, that also will need to wait for colder temperatures. Cotton anyone? What was I thinking?

I started a new pair of socks for Kim. I searched and searched for just the right pattern. (Remember the Goldilocks syndrome I seem to have lately?) It has to be fingering weight, size 2 needles and around 64 stitches. I wanted it to be a pattern I've never knitted before so I would not get bored. I made a decision to knit "Diagonal Rib Socks" from Interweave and on "Knitting Daily" After knitting two inches of cuff and starting the pattern, I am not happy with it so I'll be swimming in the frog pond again. (For you non-knitters like Kim, it's unraveling, ripping out.)

I'm getting quite excited as the 27th of April approaches. My co-worker and fellow knitter, Rebecca, and I will be going to Webs in Northhampton, Ma. to see the Yarnharlot. Brian/Briley will be going also and we hope to have lunch together. Stephanie Pearle-McPhee is having very large turnouts at her events so it should be a lot of fun.

Happy Knitting!

6 comments:

  1. I think the wool/bamboo sock yarn is perfect for summer. Wool will absorb much more moisture than cotton, but the bamboo will keep it a bit more airy. Even if it is a bit too warm -who cares! It finally stopped snowing!!!!

    Seriously, the socks turned out lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love to have your 70s! It's 80s and 90s here.

    The socks are gorgeous. Such a pretty color and nice pattern.

    Hey try the Crusoe socks at Knitty.com. They are really cool, but run a bit small so make adjustments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wouldn't worry about it too much. I know a few folks that wear wool socks all year round - and swear by their absorbancy!

    They turned out lovely.

    As for finding "just the right pattern" :
    Have you seen the XRX book from a few years back - SOCKS, SOCKS, SOCKS? Plenty of patterns to choose from in there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I, too, have heard people say wool socks are perfect for warm weather. And they are sooo pretty!

    Have a great time on the 27th! You are a very lucky lady. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. YEAH!!!!! I'm so excited :)
    I'm not worried about wool- I have a wool batting quilt on the bed for spring- but they say it's a better fiber even in summer than cotton.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Blue is my favorite color and so I think your socks are gorgoeus. Enjoy the Yarn Harlot -- I saw her last year and enjoyed every minute of it!

    ReplyDelete