Sunday, July 20, 2008

Ocean Wave Socks

Note: I should have mentioned earlier that yes, you do cast on with circulars and that you can use dp's but it is much more difficult to knit that first row. I switched to dp's as the pattern is an exact repeat of 4 so having 4 dp's to knit with quickly alerted me if I had the incorrect # of stitches.

As for the Cinderella comment, someone asked me about it. I was referring to the prince looking for someone that the shoe would fit and I was going to have to look for someone for the sock to fit if I didn't frog back.

Looking for Cinderella........you'll see why as you read on.

This Oceanwave Sock by Cat Bordhi was extremely interesting and fun to knit.. The sock uses "Judy's Magic Cast On". You cast onto two circular needles in a figure eight method twice the number of stitches you would normally need. You are knitting down with one needle and up with the other. After about 6 rows you fold your knitting in half and K2Tog (ending with your usual # of stitches) and proceed knitting the leg.


The sock widens with increases as you near the instep and heel.

You never have to pick up a stitch along the heel. I love the design! Notice how the Sl1, K1 is carried from the heel to under the foot.


The design down the front of the leg.

The decreases are meant to hug the arch of the foot.
And........in the end, I decided the heck with Cinderella, that I will frog back to above the heel. The sock does not fit in spite of the fact that there are the same # of stitches, same needles and same weight yarn.

Tomorrow, I will tell you about the great craft weekend I had....totally amazing.

Happy Knitting!

6 comments:

  1. Wow! Neat sock! Did you start by CO 2-Cirs, then which to DPNs? Cat Bordhi sure thinks differently, but so did Elizabeth Zimmermann.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, WOW! It sounds very complicated. Great looking sock. I'm impressed. I really want to knit socks myself, but have yet to cast a pair on. But let me get this straight - you ripped back because where the sock is meant to hug the arch of the foot worked out to be too tight? And it's probably me - but I'm also lost at the Cinderella reference. Really enjoy your blog -

    ReplyDelete
  3. The socks look great! I can't wait to hear about your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sock seems awfully complicated! LOL Can't wait to hear about your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cat Bordhi is a genius, and that sock is beautiful. I get the looking for the princess whose foot it will fit thing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great pattern -- makes it interesting to knit!

    ReplyDelete